Recently, an auction house (Pickles Auctions) located in Canberra, Australia was shut down due to improper removal of asbestos products. The closure was deemed necessary after it was determined the removal of the asbestos was both unauthorized and improperly performed.
The news was brought to the government’s attention through the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU), who is authorized to enter worksites to investigate potential worker health hazards or safety breaches.
However, under new laws currently being considered by the Canberra government, union inspection of such sites could be made more difficult. As the present proposed laws stand, the CFMEU organizers who spoke up against improper safety at Pickles Auctions could have been prosecuted.
Sadly, Canberra government officials recently voted in favor of drafting tougher auditing laws as they pertain to unions. Though no knew laws have been enacted yet, surely this would be a major blow against worker safety in Australia.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring product that has been used in building insulation and many other commercial products. When inhaled, asbestos can cause mesothelioma.
The CFMEU is currently arguing against the proposed monitoring restrictions. Additionally, they are calling for the government to enact an asbestos register that would track individuals who have been exposed to asbestos. The goal of such a register is to document and track initial exposures so that workers can more easily seek fair compensation if mesothelioma does occur later in life.